Fabric Softener to Remove Wallpaper
You might have heard about the use of fabric softener for removing wallpaper. Fabric softeners are used for making fabrics softer. Apart from softening clothes, fabric softeners are also used for wallpaper removal.
How to Use Fabric Softener to Remove Wallpaper?
You may get a wide range of products for removing wallpapers; you may use a fabric softener for this purpose. Apart from softening clothes, these products can also soften the wallpaper as well its glue and makes its removal an easy task.
• Once you decide to remove the old wallpaper and stick a new one, you have to decide how to remove the existing one. Prepare the room for the task, by removing all furniture and carpets.
• Spread old clothes on the floor and switch off the power supply to the room. Cover the electrical outlets with duct tape and remove face plates from sockets.
• The next step is to mix equal parts of hot water and liquid fabric softener. Fill the mixture in a spray bottle and apply on the wallpaper. You may also add equal amounts of fabric softener and water to the wallpaper removal steamer and apply the mixture on the wallpaper to be removed. It will be better to use gloves, while handling this solution.
• Let the solvent remain on the wallpaper for at least ten to twenty minutes, so as to make it soft. Once done, use a putty knife to scrape off the wallpaper. Take care to avoid damage to the wall, while scraping.
• It is always better to apply the solution in sections, that too from top to bottom. Once you are done with wallpaper removal with fabric softener, wipe the walls with a solution made of equal parts of white vinegar and water. This is beneficial for removing the residues on the wall. Let the walls dry completely, before fixing the new wallpaper.
Removing wallpaper can be kind of messy, especially if the glue is tough and the wallpaper is old. The wallpaper is enforced with a small border that is made out of sticky tape. This border is to put up with the help of strong glue and is usually difficult to remove. Wash it down with warm water. You may also use wallpaper removal solution along with the warm water. After you have washed down the border, use a putty knife or a wallpaper peeler to take off the wallpaper border. If you feel that the glue that has been used to paste the border is strong, you may also perforate the border with the help of a blade or a long pin. The perforation enables the water to seep into the glue and weaken it.
Wallpapers on drywall are especially difficult to remove, due to the fact that during the removal, one cannot apply force and liquid, liberally, as it would damage the wall beyond repair. The best way is to use the vinegar method and water to weaken the glue. In order to effectively use the vinegar and water mixture, first perforate the wallpaper with help of a pin. Then use a spray gun and lightly mist the whole surface. After misting the surface, wait for a while, so that the mixture seeps into the glue and paper. After the surface has dried out, again mildly mist the wallpaper. If the glue has weakened, you will be able to peel off the paper very easily. In case if the glue has remained very strong, you may peel off the paper with the help of a putty knife. Remember to apply as less pressure as possible. At times, solidified glue is left behind on the wall. In such a scenario, it needs to be removed before you stick on the new wallpaper. The best way to remove wallpaper glue is to mist the left over pieces of glue with a mixture of vinegar and water, and then remove it with a putty knife. If the glue is particularly reluctant, then you may also directly apply glue removal solutions.
The best way, indeed, is to maintain a patient aptitude towards the task and delicately remove the paper. Thus, you would be able to remove the wallpaper without damaging the wall and without using excessive force, time and energy.